Practicing mindfulness and setting intentions for your day and the week ahead can help relax your mind, body and soul, relieve stress, bring joy and give you purpose and direction in life.
If it’s not something you’re already doing on a daily basis, don’t stress (seriously, we want you to do the exact opposite of worry!). It’s never too late to begin practicing mindfulness and intention setting, which is why we’re bringing you a few tips and ways to get started today.
- Start your day with purpose by setting intentions (keep scrolling for a list of daily intentions to get you started!).
- Focus on your breath and practice slow, calming breathing techniques.
- Be aware of your body and move it slowly and intentionally to help relieve tension and stress. Take short breaks throughout the day to go for walks, do yoga or stretch.
- Observe your thoughts and check in with your emotions. It may help to write down your thoughts and feelings in a journal, doing so without any shame or judgment.
- Try to avoid multitasking, and instead, focus on doing one task at a time and giving it your full attention.
- Set aside some time to meditate, taking notice of when your mind wanders and being gentle with yourself as you try to bring it back.
- Adopt a beginner or learner’s mind in which you’re open to, and curious about, new things.
- Become more accepting and non-judgemental of yourself and others.
- Be patient with yourself and others.
- Let go of what you can’t control and just let it be.
- Trust yourself and your feelings.
- Practice gratitude by making a list of things you’re thankful for.
- Write, read and speak positive affirmations to yourself.
- Practice mindful eating by consuming food slowly and more intentionally.
- Live in the moment and take note of anything and everything you can.
If you’d like to live life with greater intention, try writing down a short list of intentions for the day (in present tense) and verbally go through them with yourself or with someone else. The more specific you are, the better! And be sure to keep them positive, uplifting, and purposeful, so that they help motivate you throughout the day. We’re sharing some of our favorite intentions below, but there are so many others you can add to your list, depending on what’s most important to you and what you wish to accomplish each day.
- I am present in the moment.
- I listen to my intuition and trust that it will guide me.
- I embrace change in me and around me.
- I let go of what is out of my control, and I am open to new possibilities.
- I find joy in the small things.
- I follow through on my plans and projects.
- I accept myself and others with forgiveness, understanding, grace and kindness in my heart.
- I release negativity from my mind and my life.
- I lead with love and compassion.
- I listen intently to myself and others.
Consistency is key when trying to develop a new healthy habit, so keep at it! Practicing mindfulness and intention setting daily can be life changing, so start small and take it one day at a time.
To your Balanced Health,
Your friends at The Balanced Company