Recipe by: The Balanced Company
Struggling to find a healthy and tasty meal that’s easy to make and enjoyable for the whole family? Try our Mexican Quinoa recipe – it’s a one-pot meal that will have you going back for seconds! Plus, the leftovers (if there are any) make a fabulous lunch!
Serves – 4
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, finely minced (optional)
200g Quinta Quinoa, rinsed in warm water
¾ cup vegetable broth
1 540 mL/19 fl oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 410 mL jar of Neal Brothers Organic Mercifully Mild Salsa
1 cup corn kernels, frozen or canned (drained and rinsed if canned)
½ – 1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Shredded cheddar cheese
Jalapeno slices, fresh or pickled
Green onions, chopped
- Sauté the onion in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until translucent for approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir in the minced jalapeno, if using.
- Add the Quinta Quinoa, vegetable broth and black beans and stir.
- Add the Neal Brothers Organic Mercifully Mild Salsa, corn, chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika and oregano and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the quinoa is cooked, approximately 20 minutes.
- Spoon onto a plate and finish with your favourite combination of cheddar cheese, sour cream, jalapeno slices, diced avocado and chopped green onions.
To your Balanced health,
Your friends at The Balanced Company